Friday, June 22, 2012

THEY DIED BY MY MACHINATIONS


It has been almost two months now since I posted a new Frankenstein page. That would be due to other financial and industrial obligations that needed to be taken care of. You know...like grave robbing and monster assembling. But now that I'm caught up with my wretched duties in real life, I can get caught up illustrating a book about grave robbing and monster assembling.

Here is the first page since my excursion. At this point, Victor's father has just posted bail and he evades imprisonment for the murder of his good friend Clerval. Which, by the way, he didn't do. They avoid going to London (as to not bring up any good memories of Victor's trip there with Clerval which would actually be bad) and bee-line it straight home to Geneva. Here's the text for this page:

CHAPTER V
 We had resolved not to go to London. I dreaded to see again those places in which I had enjoyed a few moments of tranquillity with my beloved Clerval. As for my father, his desires and exertions were bounded to the again seeing me restored to health and peace of mind. My grief and gloom was obstinate, but he would not despair.

"Alas! my father, how little do you know me. Justine, poor unhappy Justine, was as innocent as I, and she suffered the same charge; she died for it; and I am the cause of this - I murdered her. William, Justine, and Henry - they all died by my hands."

"What do you mean, Victor? are you mad? My dear son, I entreat you never to make such an assertion again."

"I am not mad. I am the assassin of those most innocent victims; they died by my machinations."

1 comment:

  1. Grave robbing and monster assembling are both time consuming, stressful, and rather illegal tasks. I'm glad to see that you've back safe and sound, rather than arrested or chased down by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks.

    ReplyDelete